The Head of Business Development is responsible for the development and implementation of BD plans, objectives and projects for the assigned region which contribute to revenue growth, increased market share and profitability for the firm.
• Developing local practice and office BD plans to achieve strategic objectives of
increasing revenue, profitability and market share for the region, in conjunction with
partners and senior BD and marketing colleagues
• Assisting lawyers with developing their individual BD plans and objectives, including
identifying opportunities for growth and expansion
• Identifying and assessing ROI of profile raising opportunities including conferences,
events, sponsorships, referral network relationships and speaking engagements
• Working with marketing and administrative staff to plan and manage client events
• Managing the client targeting programme for current and prospective clients and lead
the development of key client relationships
• Conducting research on key clients to assist partners with understanding their clients’
businesses, objectives and potential opportunities
• Conducting research on target clients, markets and developments in each practice
area and apply to business development and marketing initiatives
• Maintaining in-depth knowledge of market trends, competitors and industry
developments and disseminate to BD colleagues as appropriate
• Identifying and promoting cross-selling opportunities with other practices and
• Providing input on global communications including mailshots, website content,
newsletters, blog posts and presentations
• Overseeing directory submissions for assigned practice areas and regions
• Overseeing award submissions for assigned practice areas and regions, in
conjunction with marketing
• Providing input into responses for RFPs and panel submissions, including content
development, document preparation and follow up
• Developing case studies and office overviews for use by lawyers in the assigned
region, in conjunction with BD Manager/Executive
• Producing and monitoring BD budgets and reporting on ROI and success against
• Developing solid understanding of the services offered in each region as well as the
offshore market in general
• Monitoring billing data for assigned region and report on key clients, client churn and
• Championing the effective use of Sugar and providing support and coaching for
• Handling local media relations in assigned region in collaboration with the firm’s PR
• Collaborating with other regional Heads of Business Development to share best
• Promoting an environment that supports diversity and reflects the Harneys brand
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• A Bachelors’ degree in marketing, communications or related area.
• Minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in business development or marketing role
• A law firm background, particularly paralegal experience, or a background in
business, marketing or equivalent experience is desirable.
• Excellent project management and organizational skills, including ability to manage
multiple projects and meet deadlines.
• Ability to anticipate, identify and solve problems, work independently, take initiative,
and make decisions.
• Ability to compile, review, analyze and apply data and information that is varied in
context, content and format.
• Ability to effectively manage a team
• Excellent oral communication and business writing skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively with people at all levels. A positive,
• An ability to establish credibility with Harneys partners, and bring to bear the right mix
of confidence, tact and persistence in working with the firm’s lawyers.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively use technology, database, presentation, and
spreadsheet, document management and other software applications.