Harneys is an international law firm. Globally we provide advice on Luxembourg, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cyprus and Anguilla law to an international client base which includes the world’s top law firms, financial institutions and investment funds, as well as high net worth individuals. Our network covers 13 locations including in Luxembourg, Hong Kong, London, Montevideo, São Paulo, Shanghai, Singapore and Vancouver. Our wide network allows us to provide reliable and timely service on even the most complex cross-border transactions and disputes.
Led by a senior team of experienced offshore lawyers and located in the heart of one of the world's largest financial centres, our London office is the first point of contact for clients in the UK and throughout Europe. We provide a full range of services across all practice areas and specialisms.
You will be joining a friendly, collegiate team of 6 transactional lawyers based in London, and a global multidisciplinary team of around 700.
You should be able to work with colleagues to help clients succeed in realizing their business or personal objectives, through the efficient delivery of appropriate legal advice and assistance and demonstrate an ability to provide accurate, focused advice to clients. You will be expected to develop and take responsibility for client relationships from day 1.
Legal advice and action
• Take and record clear instructions
• Research matters of law and prepare clear and practical memos on the application of the law to the matter in question
• Identify areas of risk or uncertainty
• Provide concise letters and reports for clients, written in plain English
• Draft concise documents in plain English
• Play an active role within the relevant working team
• Work effectively with all other lawyers
• Involve the secretaries and other support staff in an effective way
• Take responsibility for delegated work, ask for guidance in respect of matters which are unclear and report errors and risk areas which need to be resolved
Financial management (under the supervision of a Partner)
• Assist in providing accurate cost estimates for clients
• Update clients and supervising lawyers at regular intervals
• Ensure that any changes relating to the anticipated scope of the matter are notified to the lawyer in charge of the file
• Achieve targets as set out in business plan and/or budget
• Prepare regular alerts on relevant legal developments
• Prepare document and advice templates
• Proactively consider opportunities for promoting the firm
Learning and development
• Attend and actively participate in appropriate departmental and team training sessions
• Attend appropriate internal courses (for example, compliance, risk and IT)
• Provide informal and formal training as appropriate (e.g. induction, mentoring and internal team presentations)
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
• 0-3 years’ post-qualification experience at a major onshore law firm or offshore firm in banking & finance
• Must demonstrate an ability to provide accurate, focused advice to clients
• A proactive, positive and energetic approach with a commitment to providing excellent service